Saturday, September 1, 2007

Hugs from Heaven

On August 28 I woke without realizing the significance of the date. Propelled by a strong inspiration to read The Magnificat, I opened the book to the day's Morning Prayers. Under the date I read, "The Feast of St. Augustine." HUG #1! I whispered with a grin on my lips, "Hi, Austin."

The Psalm for the morning was #139. This passage is so near and dear to my heart, and to Jim's as well. He has written chords for verses 13-16: "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." This is "Austin's Song." HUG #2!

My heart swelled with prayers of thanksgiving for these hugs! While I strive to "believe without seeing," I have to be honest that my heart leaps with Joy each time the Lord blesses me with a sign that Christ, Mary, and the Saints are in communion with me in the present. What affirmation these hugs were that St. Augustine is a special friend of my son, St. Austin. And that Austin's life was indeed a witness for mankind that all life, regardless of age or ability, is sacred and dignified.

Concluding my prayers, I went about the Mommy-business of the day. After packing all boys into the van, out-of-the-blue Caleb called out,

"You know, Mom, who my favorite Saint is?"
"No. Who?"
"St. Austin."
HUG #3!

Thank you, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit! Thank you!

No comments: